2022 Ohio Youth Skillathons
Welcome to the 2022 Ohio State Fair Skillathons. We want to support the continued learning needs of youth livestock and companion animal exhibitors throughout Ohio, so Ohio State University Extension and the Department of Animal Sciences are pleased to offer BOTH in-person AND virtual Skillathons again this year.
Our 4-H Animal Sciences team will conduct online Ohio Youth Skillathons this year with the opportunity to compete for the highest score; no cash awards will be involved. These Skillathons will include similar educational materials, by species, that are evaluated at the Ohio State Fair. In-person Skillathons will be at the Ohio State Fair and youth participating at the youth livestock shows will have an opportunity to compete.
Save the dates for the species you want to participate in and put your 4-H project knowledge to the test! Times, details about rules and registration are provided on this page. If you have questions about the Ohio 4-H Skillathon, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Interested in our Ohio 4-H Skillathon Team? Click the link below to see what it is all about!
For more information about dates and topics, please visit the individual species pages linked below:
- Beef Skillathon
- Cavy Skillathon
- Dairy Skillathon
- Dog Skillathon
- Goat Skillathon
- Horse Skillathon
- Llama/Alpaca Skillathon
- Poultry Skillathon
- Rabbit Skillathon
- Sheep Skillathon
- Swine Skillathon
Skillathons are open to any Ohio 4-H member, age 8 and in the 3rd grade, or 9 years old and older regardless of grade level, to age 18 as of January 1, 2022, and FFA members. 4-H and FFA members turning 19 on or before December 31, 2021, are too old to participate in skillathons.
- In-Person 2021 Ohio Youth Skillathon Rules (posted 5.3.2022)
- Virtual 2021 Ohio Youth Skillathon Rules and Registration (posted 5.3.2022)
- All Skillathons are open to any Ohio 4-H member, age 8 and in the 3rd grade, or 9 years old and older regardless of grade level, to age 18 as of January 1, 2022, and FFA members.
- You do not have to exhibit a particular species to participate in that species Skillathon.
- Any specific rules for an individual species will be outlined on the testing site.
- Virtual skillathons will be delivered through Scarlet, a university-approved distance learning site. You must have access to a mobile device or computer with the ability to access the internet.
- Even though virtual Skillathons are online, each Skillathon must be taken by the youth only without assistance from family or friends.
- Note: To be eligible for Outstanding Breeding Exhibitor, youth MUST compete in their species virtual skillathon
- Outstanding Breeding Exhibitor Rules (posted 5.3.2022)
- In-person Skillathons will be held during the youth livestock shows at the Ohio State Fair
- Note: To be eligible for Outstanding Market Exhibitor, youth MUST compete in their species in-person skillathon
- Outstanding Market Exhibitor Rules (posted 5.3.2022)
- There will be 4 stations in each Skillathon that will make up 4 separate, timed modules.
- Each station will have a time limit (typically 5 minutes per station).
- If your child requires any testing accommodations, please contact us in advance at email@example.com and we will work with you to make accommodation arrangements.
- Results will be posted for each age category, age division, and overall after the Skillathon is completed. Participants will receive an email with a link to view the results.
How to Register for Virtual Skillathons:
- Please register by visiting: go.osu.edu/skillathonregistration
- Please answer all of the survey prompts.
- All exhibitors will need an email address specific to that exhibitor that can be used as your log-in credential (this is also where the first-time registration will be).
- For example, a family with 3 children participating must have a unique email address for each child.
- If you are a returning exhibitor of the virtual skillathon and do not remember your previously used email, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com.
- 2022 Ohio Youth Skillathons Flyer (posted 5.17.2022)
- Record Book