If you're a 4-H member with a great project idea of your own or someone who's ready to go beyond a current project book, consider doing a self-determined project. Use the Self-Determined Project Guide to describe your project, set goals, and record your activities.
Prefer to type? Download and save this Self-Determined Project Guide fillable form.
Self-Determined projects may be repeated if new areas of interest, learning experiences, and leadership/citizenship activities are selected. Don't forget, a completed Self-Determined Project Guide is required for each self-determined project.
Not sure what topic to explore? You can get some great ideas by reviewing the Idea Starters below.
Each Idea Starter is written as an open invitation to explore a new or innovative topic as a self-determined project. This growing list of idea Starters provides a timely and exciting variety of non-traditional 4-H topics. There is something for everyone! Don't forget, every Idea Starter must be used with the Self-Determined Project Guide.
- 365.01 Astronomy
- 365.02 Model Railroading
- 365.03 Weather
- 365.04 Clowning
- 365.05 Rocks, Minerals, and Fossils
- 365.06 American Sign Language
- 365.07 Computers
- 365.08 Discovering Genetics
- 365.09 Canoeing
- 365.10 Local Foods: Does It Matter What You Eat?
- 365.11 Camp Counseling (For the optional activity under Planning Your Adventure, use these pages from the now-discontinued Camp Counselor's Handbook. For the optional activity under Enhance Counseling Skills and Personal Qualities, use these pages.)
- 365.12 Miniature Gardens
- 365.13 Reptiles and Amphibians
- 365.14 Climate Change
- 365.16 Viruses, Bacteria, and Fungi, Oh My! (Plant Pathology)
- 365.17 Babysitting
- 365.18 Ways of Knowing Water
- 365.19 The Work World is Calling . . . Are You Ready?
- 365.20 Paper Craft NEW for 2018
- 365.21 Skateboarding
- 365.22 Pigeons
- 365.23 Native American Artifacts: Arrowheads
- 365.24 Shale Gas Extraction
- 365.25 Flower Gardening
- 365.26 Hedgehogs
- 365.27 Ferrets
- 365.28 Chinchillas
- 365.29 Field to Faucet: What Determines Water Quality
- 365.30 Crossbow NEW for 2018