Project Books: How to Get One in 2023
Order and pick up project books in your county office. To purchase a project book, check with your club advisor and county educator. Ohio residents get the best price on printed books when they order and pick up their purchases through local Extension offices.
- Buy one online. You also can order directly from extensionpubs.osu.edu. Ohio residents receive free standard shipping on orders of $20 or more with coupon FREE2023. Books cost slightly more this way, but orders can be shipped directly to any Ohio address. There is no restriction on the number of times a coupon can be used. See our printable Ordering Is Easy instructions. Please review your order carefully. Extension Publishing is not able to accept returns.
- Make your own. Members can create their own self-determined projects. We're sharing some great ideas with the idea starters here.
Want a handy list of project possibilities? Here you go!
Complete descriptions of Ohio 4-H projects are in the Family Guide and on Ohio 4-H Project Central, an interactive web site that includes sample pages, ratings, and comments. Project Central works best when you use Firefox or Chrome web browsers. A step-by-step guide is here.
Publications can be purchased directly from Ohio State University Extension Publications or from local county Extension offices, where Ohio 4-H club advisors, club members, and other Ohio residents get the best price. Other state 4-H offices can benefit from our Partner Pricing program.
Club officer handbooks and related materials are available on the Club Officer Resources page.
Dog Achievement Program information and materials are available on the Dog Achievement Program page.
- 4-H 375i Leadership Road Trip iBook (available on iPad only)
Publications Available for Download
The following publications are available for download in pdf format. Adobe Reader is required for viewing and printing these publications.
Self-Determined Projects, Idea Starters, and Master Projects
- 4-H 365 Self-Determined Projects and Idea Starters
- 4-H 378M Leadership Master
- 4-H 432M Sewing and Textiles Master (non-clothing)
- 4-H 503M Solid-Fuel Rocketry Master Designing Your Own Model Rocket (supplement to the Rocketry Master project above)
- 4-H 512M Robotics Master
- 4-H 560M Woodworking Master
- 4-H 589M Photography Master
- MyPlate Food Guide flyer (for all food and nutrition projects)
- Pennsylvania Livestock Judging Manual (Temporarily unavailable. A new direct link is on the way! In the meantime, the 4-H Livestock Judging Manual (2020) from Mississippi State is a good resource too.)
- 4-H 46 Demonstrations for 4-H Members
- 4-H 150 Poultry Project and Record Book, Project Pictures (page 10)
- 4-H 150 Poultry Project and Record Book, Weight Record (page 14)
- 4-H 150 Poultry Project and Record Book, Weight Summary and Feed Efficiency (page 15)
- 4-H 150 Poultry Project and Record Book, Egg Production Record (page 17)
- 4-H 150 Poultry Resources (for use with Poultry Project and Record Book)
- 4-H 495 Your First Home Away From Home
- 4-H 554GPM National 4-H ATV Safety Leaders Guide and Tool Kit Items
- 4-H 927 Forty Questions You Always Wanted Answered about Ohio 4-H
- 4-H 941 Installation Ceremony
- Nurturing Scientific Literacy Among Youth Through Experientially Based Curriculum Materials (.6mb)
- Ohio 4-H Volunteer Handbook
- Science, Engineering and Technology Programming in the Context of 4-H Youth Development (1.1mb)
- 4-H 36 Interviewing Tips for Judges pdf | link
- 4-H 554GPM ATV Safety, Leader's Guide
- 4-H 897 Developing Experientially Based 4-H Curriculum Materials
- 4-H 915 Livestock Judging Cards with placing and questions
- 4-H 915 Livestock Judging Cards with placings only
- 4-H 953.1 4-H Project Learning
- 4-H 955 Working with Officers and Committees
- 4-H 959 Launching into the Next Millennium, 4-H Achieves Liftoff COMPLETE
- Chapter 1. Small Animals and Veterinary Science
- Chapter 2. Livestock
- Chapter 3. Citizenship, International, Careers, Leadership, and Communications
- Chapter 4. Food and Nutrition
- Chapter 5. Field and Garden
- Chapter 6. Equine Science
- Chapter 7. Human Development
- Chapter 8. Engineering
- Chapter 9. Entomology and the Environment
- Chapter 10. Clothing
- 4-H 961L Horse Member Card (front)
- 4-H 961L Horse Member Card (back)