Ohio 4-H Sea Camp
2022 Camp Dates: July 15-July 19
Through partnerships of Ohio State University Extension and organizations that offer aquatic education and water recreation, Ohio 4-H Sea Camp at Kelleys Island has offered hundreds of young people the opportunity to learn about aquatic science and experience a variety of recreational watersports on Lake Erie. Sea Camp is offered to youth ages 15-17 (age as of first day of camp).
The mission of Ohio 4-H Sea Camp is to offer teenage youth an introduction to the Great Lakes through hands-on experiences in a variety of aquatic-based programs. Sea Camp will enable participants to experience Lake Erie-based activities and culture such as aquatic science, water recreation, and fishing. The program is a supervised, educational environment fostered by Ohio 4-H and The Ohio State University.
Objectives of Ohio 4-H Sea Camp include:
- Participants will gain an understanding of safety applied to watercraft, sun, and open water recreation.
- Participants will explore a variety of potential career opportunities through learning from professionals in aquatic science, natural resources, and watersports.
- Participants will gain lifelong skills fostered through educational and recreational water-based activities, while developing lasting friendships and comradery with peers.
Camp Registration Timeline:
January 10-March 31: Camp staff application material will be available on this webpage
March 1: Camper pre-registration will become available on this webpage
May 1: Camper pre-registration closes. Waiting list begins by contacting Kayla at firstname.lastname@example.org
All campers who have pre-registered by May 1 have received a confirmation email and a packet with camp forms.
Forms must be completed and returned by May 20 to the Ohio 4-H State Office.
Payment must be completed by May 20 through check or county sponsorship (payment options included in individual emails). Sea Camp fees are $400 for currently enrolled 4-H members and $450 to all other teens.
Ohio Boaters Education Course must be completed by June 10 with appropriate paperwork sent to ODNR.
Camp staff information
Application for Camp Counselors:
- Online survey due by April 15 - go.osu.edu/SeaCampCounselor
- Two references due by April 15 - go.osu.edu/SeaCampRef
Application for Camp Staff & Guest Instructors:
- Online survey due by April 15 - go.osu.edu/SeaCampStaff
For more information, contact Kayla Oberstadt at the State 4-H Office by email or phone at 614-292-3758.