Welcome to 4-H ChickQuest!
Are you an Ohio classroom educator who wants to bring the science of the life cycle into your classroom in the most amazing and exciting way? Attend a ChickQuest training session offered by GrowNextGen, part of the Ohio Soybean Council. Sign up for training or join the mailing list HERE.
Click here for testimonials about ChickQuest from teachers and other educators.
What can we learn from a chick? Find out with ChickQuest, a Science Alive 4-H School Enrichment program that challenges youth to use science, technology, engineering, and math skills to investigate the life cycle of an embryonic chicken egg. From monitoring living eggs to observing fluffy chicks, these lively activities pique curiosity, encourage collaboration and communication, and provide young scientists with unforgettable experiences.
Visit Project Central to view sample pages from the ChickQuest Teacher Guide: A Journey Through the Life Cycle of Chickens and from the ChickQuest Logbook.
Learning outcomes, including correlation to Next Generation Science Standards, are available in ChickQuest Lessons at a Glance.
Research-based Information about Safe Handling of Chicks
- Safe Handling of Chicks (from University of Kentucky)
- Wally Kat poster about Handling Chicks (from University of Kentucky)
- "A risk of contracting Salmonella from chicks is always present. However, the risk can be reduced by avoiding contact with feces from these animals, carefully washing hands with soap and water after handling these animals, and avoiding hand-to-mouth contact." Salmonella and Avian Influenza (from University of Florida)
- Healthy Pets, Healthy People Animals in Schools and Daycares (from Centers for Disease Control)
- Healthy Pets, Healthy People Educational Materials (from Centers for Disease Control). Scroll down for PDF and Gif versions of an "Always wash your hands after handling pountry" poster in English and Spanish.
Other Documents Related to the Curriculum
- Egg Skillathon Station Directions
- Egg Skillathon Stations Activity
- ChickQuest Supply List
- Ready-to-Print Task Cards Lesson 5
- Ready-to-Print Task Cards Lesson 6
- Ready-to-Print Task Cards Lesson 10
- Make a Hygrometer
- Chick Quest Student Quiz 1 - (Lessons 1-6)
- Chick Quest Student Quiz 2 - (Lessons 7-18)
- 21-Day Calendar SLIDE PRESENTATION
- BONUS Video #1: Where Do Eggs Come From
- BONUS Video #2: The Incredible Infertile Egg
- Some copies of the Chick Quest Teacher Guide have a misprinted page 35. Here is a corrected version.
Related Web Links
- Nebraska Embryology Website (GREAT 4-H Egg Cam available HERE.)
- 4-H Virtual Farm
- Illinois ChickScope
- Penn State Embryology in the Classroom
- National 4-H Science
- NSTA Position Statement: Responsible Use of Live Animals and Dissections in the Science Classroom