History of the Ohio 4-H Foundation
Founded in 1945 as part of The Ohio State University Development Fund, the Ohio 4-H Foundation solicits and receives contributions on behalf of Ohio 4-H in order to enhance the 4-H Youth Development Program and to recognize 4-H members and adult volunteers.
The Ohio 4-H Foundation established an Endowment in 1946 in order to create a permanent investment. With private support from individuals, businesses and organizations, the Ohio 4-H Foundation is able to fund new programs and improve existing programs at the county, district and state levels. Annual program grants are awarded by the Foundation to support innovative programs, meet emerging, local needs or pilot new efforts.
The Foundation uses all contributions to benefit the educational efforts of the program. Gifts to the 4-H program support specific program areas, teen and adult leadership education, volunteer programs, member recognition, project clinics, camps, counselor training, teen leader clubs, livestock and non livestock events and much more.
Financial support for 4-H is provided by the federal, state and county governments. However, public funds cannot fully support 4-H program needs, nor can they be used for 4-H member awards, incentives, or volunteer development and recognition. Thus, the support of donors throughout Ohio is vital to our success.