ABOUT 4-H HEALTH HEROES
The Ohio 4-H Healthy Living program provides youth with the opportunity to represent 4-H and promote healthy living in their communities. 4-H Health Heroes promote healthy eating, encourage people to engage in physical activities, and promote positive community change. Additionally, 4-H Health Heroes help Ohio 4-H accomplish the goals of the National 4-H Healthy Living Mission Mandate, which encourages youth and families to gain optimal physical, social, and emotional well-being.
BENEFITS OF BEING A 4-H HEALTH HERO
- Gain valuable leadership and communication skills
- Meet other 4-H youth from across Ohio who are invested in healthy living
- Leave a positive impact on your family, friends, and community
- Promote the 4th H!
- Be recognized at the 2019 Ohio 4-H Conference in March
EXPECTATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS TO SERVE AS A 4-H HEALTH HERO
- Be currerntly enrolled in 4-H and in grades 7-12 at the beginning of the 2018-2019 academic school year.
- Be available to serve as a 4-H Health Hero from September 2018 through August 2019 (option to renew membership).
- Attend and actively participate in an all-day training session and periodic meetings in your local area with the regional Healthy Living 4-H Educator (see training dates and locations below).
- Be interested in learning about healthy eating, leading an active lifestyle, and other health-related topics.
- Be excited to teach others about nutrition, physical activity, mental health, and drug prevention.
- Be responsible and trustworthy.
- Be passionate about making a difference in your community.
- Keep up-to-date on 4-H Health Hero activities by consistently checking and responding to communication from Extension staff in a timely manner.
- Record activities conducted as a 4-H Health Hero and report to Extension staff.
- Actively share the message of Healthy Living within your local 4-H clubs and/or school clubs.
- Model healthy eating and physical activity to family, friends, and 4-H members.
2018-2019 Local Training Dates
After November 1st, those interesting in participating must be able to attend the following training.
- Southern OH - Saturday, February 2, 2019, from 10 am to 4 pm at Canter's Cave 4-H Camp near Jackson.
Apply here: http://go.osu.edu/2018healthheroapp
STATE-LEVEL 4-H HEALTH HERO OPPORTUNITY
In addition to the requirements above, youth in grades 9-12 will have the opportunity to take on additional responsibilities to serve as a state-level Health Hero. More information will be given at the local trainings.
Additional responsibilities of a state-level 4-H Health Hero include:
- Participate in face-to-face (in Columbus) and virtual meetings.
- Complete teaching and/or advocacy activities promoting healthy living at the state level and/or in your community.
- Participate in state events, such as the Ohio 4-H Conference, The Ohio State Fair, HealthU, new Health Hero trainings, and/or any other events identified by Extension staff.