ABOUT 4-H HEALTH HEROES
The Ohio 4-H Healthy Living program is spreading the word that young people can have a strong voice in advocating for healthy changes, both individually and community-wide. At the 2016 National Youth Summit teens from around the state of Ohio developed action plans to make their communities healthier places. The individuals involved in the program are called 4-H Health HEROES.
4-H Health HEROES (Health Education Resources for Outreach, Engagement, and Service) promotes healthy eating, encourages people to engage in physical activities, and promotes positive community change. Additionally, 4-H Health Heroes help Ohio 4-H accomplish the goals of the National 4-H Healthy Living Mission Mandate, which encourages youth and families to gain optimal physical, social, and emotional well-being.
BENEFITS OF BEING A 4-H HEALTH HERO
- Learn about a variety of healthy living topics
- Gain valuable leadership and communication skills
- Meet other 4-H youth from across Ohio who are invested in healthy living
- Leave a positive impact on your family, friends, and community
- Promote the 4th H!
CONTRACT & EXPECTATIONS
Please makes sure you read the expectations and contract to be an Ohio 4-H Health Hero.
Each Health Hero needs to have an identified Adult Mentor who is either an OSU Extension Employee or Ohio 4-H Volunteer to help them locally. See the below PDF to read the expectations of a Health Hero Adult Mentor.
Youth in grades 9 through 12 are encouraged to apply. Application is due Sunday, September 11th, 2022 by 11:59 pm.
- October 21-23, 2022 - HealthU Retreat @ 4-H Camp Ohio -OPTIONAL
- November 5, 2022 - in-person training, 10-4 pm @ Franklin County Extension Office (Columbus)
- December 12, 2022 – virtual touch-base, 7-8pm
- January 14, 2023 – in-person training, 10-4 pm @ State 4-H Office (virtual if inclement weather)
- February TBD, 2023 – National Youth Summit on Healthy Living in Washington D.C -PENDING FUNDING & SELECTION
- March 11, 2023 – Ohio 4-H Conference at the Columbus Convention Center -OPTIONAL
- May 15, 2023 – virtual touch-base, 7-8pm
- July 26, 2023 - Health Day @ Ohio State Fair