Welcome to the Ohio 4-H Poultry Projects and Resource page!
The Ohio Department of Agriculture confirmed that Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza has been detected in a backyard chicken flock located in Franklin County. “Enhanced Biosecurity is the number one preventative measure against avian influenza,” said Dr. Dennis Summers, State Veterinarian in a statement. “HPAI can infect any size flock. We urge all poultry owners to intensify their biosecurity and best management practices."
Below are links to resources from the Ohio Department of Agriculture and a brochure from OSU Extension outlining signs to watch for, prevention, and biosecurity.
Ohio Department of Agriculture-Best Practices for Biosecurity
OSU Extension Avian Influenza brochure
Poultry Biosecurity for 4H Youth (from 4.5.22 live webinar)
2023 Calendar of Events
18 - Ohio Youth Poultry Clinic
4 - Youth Poultry Webinars: Nutrition
10 - Youth Poultry Webinars: Health & Biosecurity
15 - Youth Poultry Webinars: Handling, Welfare, and Carcass Quality
17 - Ohio State Fair 4-H Poultry Judging Contest Postmark Entry Deadline
17 - Ohio State Fair 4-H Avian Bowl Contest Postmark Entry Deadline
29 - OSF 4-H Poultry Judging Contest
29 - OSF 4-H Avian Bowl
Factsheets and Resources
Interested in learning more about poultry breeds? Watch videos of select large fowl, bantams, ducks, geese, turkeys, and guinea fowl HERE.
BACKYARD POULTRY INFORMATION
Click on this link Backyard Poultry Production to find excellent information about finding and raising backyard poultry from Tim McDermott, DVM and Franklin County Extension Educator.
Putting Science into Animal Sciences Projects Fact Sheets
4-H Program / Project Book
Previous Ohio 4-H poultry project books have been condensed into one Poultry Project and Record Book for members of all skill levels. Use this book for these projects:
- Chicken, Exhibition (Fancy)
- Chicken, Market
- Chicken, Egg Production: Hens and Pullets
- Duck, Exhibition (Fancy)
- Duck, Market
- Goose, Exhibition (Fancy)
- Goose, Market
- Turkey, Exhibition (Fancy)
- Turkey, Market
- Helmeted Guinea Fowl
This book and other Ohio State University Extension, 4-H Youth Development publications are available from the Ohio State University eStore or from local county Extension offices, where Ohio 4-H club advisors, club members, and other Ohio residents get the best price.
4-H POULTRY RESOURCES FROM eXTENSION
Unless otherwise indicated, these articles from articles.extension.org/poultry are for use with 4-H poultry projects. eXtension is a national database that collects articles and videos from Extension experts around the country. To make the articles easier for Ohio 4-H members to access, they have been downloaded and collected here. Not all of the available articles are included here, but these are the ones most likely to be relevant to 4-H members. A handful of articles from our Ohio 4-H specialists are included too. Use the links below to download and print each article. There are a lot, but most of them are very short.
Interested only in chickens? The italicized titles below cover the basics. For convenience, they are also available in this single document called Basic Information About Chickens (162 pages).
Deciding What Type of Poultry to Raise in Small or Backyard Flocks
What Type of Turkey is best for Small and Backyard Poultry Flocks?
Which Duck Breed is best for Small and Backyard Poultry Flocks?
Which Goose Breed is best for Small and Backyard Poultry Flocks?
Chicken Breed Selection (Schirtzinger, McDermott – ANR-60)
Anatomy and Physiology
External Anatomy of Poultry Kept on Small or Backyard Flocks: Chickens
External Anatomy of Poultry Kept on Small or Backyard Flocks: Turkey
External Anatomy of Poultry Kept on Small or Backyard Flocks: Duck
External Anatomy of Poultry Kept on Small or Backyard Flocks: Goose
External Anatomy of Poultry Kept on Small or Backyard Flocks: Guinea Fowl
How Can I Distinguish Male and Female Chickens?
Avian Reproductive System – Female
Avian Reproductive System - Male
Raising Chickens for Egg Production
Raising Meat Chickens in Small or Backyard Flocks
Raising Meat Turkeys in Small or Backyard Flocks
Raising Ducks Intended for Consumption
Raising Geese in Small or Backyard Flocks
Chicken Meat Cuts
Turkey Meat Cuts
Duck Meat Cuts
Normal Behaviors of Chickens in Small and Backyard Poultry Flocks
Interactions of Chickens in Small and Backyard Poultry Flocks with Other Species
Egg Eating by Chickens in Small and Backyard Poultry Flocks
Feather Pecking and Cannibalism in Small and Backyard Poultry Flocks
Biosecurity for Small Poultry Flocks
Predator Management for Small and Backyard Poultry Flocks
Toe Trimming of Turkeys or Chickens in Small and Backyard Poultry Flocks
Beak Trimming of Poultry in Small and Backyard Poultry Flocks
Wing Clipping in Small and Backyard Poultry Flocks
House Design for Small and Backyard Poultry Flocks
Ventilation in Housing for Small and Backyard Poultry Flocks
Lighting in Housing for Small and Backyard Poultry Flocks
Insulation of Housing for Small and Backyard Poultry Flocks
Litter Material for Small and Backyard Poultry Flocks
Perches in Housing for Small and Backyard Poultry Flocks
Winter Care for Your Laying Hens (University of Maine): https://extension.umaine.edu/publications/2217e/
Water Requirements for Poultry
Common Feed Ingredients in Poultry Diets
Feeding Chickens for Egg Production
Feeding Ducks Intended for Consumption
Mineral Deficiencies in Poultry
Raising Commercial Ducks as a 4-H or FFA Project
Terminology Related to Poultry Disease
Common Signs of Illness in Poultry
Egg Peritonitis in Laying Hens
Prolapse in Poultry Kept in Small and Backyard Flocks
Use of Anticoccidial Medications and Vaccines in Poultry Production
Breeding and Hatching
Choosing an Incubator (Miller)
Blood Spot Eggs Produced by Small and Backyard Chicken Flocks
Poultry Genetics for Small and Backyard Flocks: An Introduction
Sexing Day-Old Chicks on Small and Backyard Flocks
Exhibition Poultry (Miller)
Bathing and Grooming Poultry (Miller)
Safe Handling of Eggs from Small and Backyard Flocks
Salmonella and Backyard Chickens
Downloadable List of Poultry Resources
Need some reliable, research-based sources for information about your poultry project? We recommend you start here, with the links below.
- eXtension, poultry.extension.org. This national database collects articles and videos from Extension experts around the country. Not seeing what you want to know? Submit your own question to Ask an Expert.
- University of Kentucky Poultry Science, afs.ca.uky.edu/poultry. A good general overview of poultry from our land grant partners at University of Kentucky.
- American Poultry Association (APA), amerpoultryassn.com. Information about shows, health, and competition from the publishers of the American Standard of Perfection.
- American Bantam Association (ABA), bantamclub.com. A wealth of resources and images from the publishers of the Bantam Standard.
- Poultry Show Central, poultryshowcentral.com. Up-to-date resource for information about poultry shows, breeders, and more.
- United State Environmental Protection Agency, epa.gov/agriculture/agriculture-ag-101. Click on "Ag101 (PDF)" and then on Poultry Production for an overall perspective on the broiler and layer industries.
These print resources offer thorough and practical information too:
Storey’s Guide to Raising Poultry, 4th Edition: Chickens, Turkeys, Ducks, Geese, Guineas, Gamebirds by Glenn Drowns (2012)
How to Raise Poultry: Everything You Need to Know, Updated and Revised (FFA) by Christine Heinrichs (2014)
Poultry Biosecurity Resources
- Biosecurity for Backyard Poultry - Timothy McDermott, DVM, OSUE Franklin County - presentation made during the November 7, 2018, Assuring Quality Care for Animals In-Service
- Protecting the Health of Your Flock - This brochure is a great resource to learn important things you can do to keep your birds healthy. Please share with poultry exhibitors, feed stores, and backyard poultry owners.
- Bird Flu - What is it? How to avoid it. - This brochure addresses Avian Influenza. Please share with other poultry owners.
- Defend the Flock Tool Kit: USDA-APHIS
- Backyard Biosecurity for Birds: https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ourfocus/animalhealth/animal-disease-information/avian-influenza-disease/birdbiosecurity
- Cleaning and Disinfecting Checklist for Backyard Poultry Owners: https://www.aphis.usda.gov/publications/animal_health/2015/hcard_checklist.pdf
- Biosecurity for large flock/commercial poultry: https://www.aphis.usda.gov/pest-disease/defend-flock/defend-the-flock-toolkit.pdf
- Ohio Poultry Association Resources for Backyard Poultry Flocks
Fair Season Toolkit for Poultry Biosecurity
Avian Influenza and Biosecurity Fact Sheet
High Path Avian Influenza Update - Jan 2022
Hand Washing after Handling Chicks and Ducklings
Ohio Poultry Veterinarians
Click here for a list of poultry veterinarians willing to treat 4-H members' poultry. Click here for an Ohio map showing location of poultry veterinarians. (Updated June, 2019)
Certified Pullorum Testers
Click here for the list of certified pullorum testers (Updated 2021)
A great factsheet from OPA on Pullorum Testing Common Questions and Answers
On behalf of the Ohio 4-H Poultry Programs, we would like to offer our sincerest THANKS to the following organization(s) their support of our programs.
Ohio Poultry Association: www.ohiopoultry.org
Michael Cressman, Assistant Professor - Professional Practice