Welcome to the Ohio 4-H Poultry Projects and Resource page!
|Calendar of Events
|Ohio Poultry Veterinarians
|Ohio Pollorum Testers
The Ohio Department of Agriculture confirmed that Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza has been detected in a backyard chicken flock located in Franklin County. “Enhanced Biosecurity is the number one preventative measure against avian influenza,” said Dr. Dennis Summers, State Veterinarian in a statement. “HPAI can infect any size flock. We urge all poultry owners to intensify their biosecurity and best management practices."
Below are links to resources from the Ohio Department of Agriculture and a brochure from OSU Extension outlining signs to watch for, prevention, and biosecurity.
Poultry Biosecurity for 4H Youth (from 4.23 live webinar)
4 - Youth Poultry Webinars: Nutrition
10 - Youth Poultry Webinars: Health & Biosecurity
15 - Youth Poultry Webinars: Handling, Welfare, and Carcass Quality
29 - OSF 4-H Avian Bowl
|Breeds & Selection
|Anatomy & Physiology
|Housing & Management
|Health & Disease
BACKYARD POULTRY INFORMATION
Click on this link Backyard Poultry Production to find excellent information about finding and raising backyard poultry from Tim McDermott, DVM and Franklin County Extension Educator.
Putting Science into Animal Sciences Projects Fact Sheets
Previous Ohio 4-H poultry project books have been condensed into one Poultry Project and Record Book for members of all skill levels. Use this book for these projects:
- Chicken, Exhibition (Fancy)
- Chicken, Market
- Chicken, Egg Production: Hens and Pullets
- Duck, Exhibition (Fancy)
- Duck, Market
- Goose, Exhibition (Fancy)
- Goose, Market
- Turkey, Exhibition (Fancy)
- Turkey, Market
- Helmeted Guinea Fowl
This book and other Ohio State University Extension, 4-H Youth Development publications are available from the Ohio State University eStore or from local county Extension offices, where Ohio 4-H club advisors, club members, and other Ohio residents get the best price.
4-H POULTRY RESOURCES FROM eXTENSION
Unless otherwise indicated, these articles from articles.extension.org/poultry are for use with 4-H poultry projects. eXtension is a national database that collects articles and videos from Extension experts around the country. To make the articles easier for Ohio 4-H members to access, they have been downloaded and collected here. Not all of the available articles are included here, but these are the ones most likely to be relevant to 4-H members. A handful of articles from our Ohio 4-H specialists are included too. Use the links below to download and print each article. There are a lot, but most of them are very short.
Interested only in chickens? For convenience, they are also available in this single document called Basic Information About Chickens (162 pages).
Interested in learning more about poultry breeds? Watch videos of select large fowl, bantams, ducks, geese, turkeys, and guinea fowl HERE.
- Deciding What Type of Poultry to Raise in Small or Backyard Flocks
- What Type of Turkey is best for Small and Backyard Poultry Flocks?
- Which Duck Breed is best for Small and Backyard Poultry Flocks?
- Which Goose Breed is best for Small and Backyard Poultry Flocks?
- Chicken Breed Selection (Schirtzinger, McDermott – ANR-60)
- External Anatomy of Poultry Kept on Small or Backyard Flocks: Chickens
- External Anatomy of Poultry Kept on Small or Backyard Flocks: Turkey
- External Anatomy of Poultry Kept on Small or Backyard Flocks: Duck
- External Anatomy of Poultry Kept on Small or Backyard Flocks: Goose
- External Anatomy of Poultry Kept on Small or Backyard Flocks: Guinea Fowl
- How Can I Distinguish Male and Female Chickens?
- Anatomy of a Feather
- Avian Digestive System
- Avian Immune System
- Avian Muscular System
- Avian Reproductive System – Female
- Avian Reproductive System - Male
- Avian Respiratory System
- Avian Skeletal System
- Raising Chickens for Egg Production
- Raising Meat Chickens in Small or Backyard Flocks
- Raising Meat Turkeys in Small or Backyard Flocks
- Raising Ducks Intended for Consumption
- Raising Geese in Small or Backyard Flocks
- Raising Guinea Fowl
- Chicken Meat Cuts
- Turkey Meat Cuts
- Duck Meat Cuts
- Choosing an Incubator (Miller)
- Brooding Poultry Hatchlings
- Blood Spot Eggs Produced by Small and Backyard Chicken Flocks
- Egg Problems and Deficiencies
- Poultry Genetics for Small and Backyard Flocks: An Introduction
- Sexing Day-Old Chicks on Small and Backyard Flocks
- Sex-Link Traits in Poultry
Nutrition - Nutrition best practices, how nutrition impacts meat quality
- Basic Poultry Nutrition
- Water Requirements for Poultry
- Common Feed Ingredients in Poultry Diets
- Additives in Poultry Feed
- Mycotoxins in Poultry Feed
- Feeding Chickens for Egg Production
- Feeding Ducks Intended for Consumption
- Feeding Geese
- Mineral Deficiencies in Poultry
- Raising Commercial Ducks as a 4-H or FFA Project
- Normal Behaviors of Chickens in Small and Backyard Poultry Flocks
- Interactions of Chickens in Small and Backyard Poultry Flocks with Other Species
- Egg Eating by Chickens in Small and Backyard Poultry Flocks
- Feather Pecking and Cannibalism in Small and Backyard Poultry Flocks
Handling, Welfare, and Impacts on Meat Quality - Animal handling and welfare at home and at the fair, impact of handling and stress of meat quality
Part 1 - Welfare & Handling
Part 2 - Meat Quality
- Transport and Care of Poultry
- Predator Management for Small and Backyard Poultry Flocks
- Toe Trimming of Turkeys or Chickens in Small and Backyard Poultry Flocks
- Beak Trimming of Poultry in Small and Backyard Poultry Flocks
- Wing Clipping in Small and Backyard Poultry Flocks
- Small Scale Poultry Housing
- House Design for Small and Backyard Poultry Flocks
- Ventilation in Housing for Small and Backyard Poultry Flocks
- Lighting in Housing for Small and Backyard Poultry Flocks
- Insulation of Housing for Small and Backyard Poultry Flocks
- Litter Material for Small and Backyard Poultry Flocks
- Perches in Housing for Small and Backyard Poultry Flocks
- Winter Care for Your Laying Hens (University of Maine): https://extension.umaine.edu/publications/2217e/
Health - Protecting animal health at home and at the fair, common disease ID, and more!
- Protecting the Health of Your Flock - This brochure is a great resource to learn important things you can do to keep your birds healthy. Please share with poultry exhibitors, feed stores, and backyard poultry owners.
- Bird Flu - What is it? How to avoid it. - This brochure addresses Avian Influenza. Please share with other poultry owners.
- Defend the Flock Tool Kit: USDA-APHIS
- Backyard Biosecurity for Birds: https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ourfocus/animalhealth/animal-disease-information/avian-influenza-disease/birdbiosecurity
- Cleaning and Disinfecting Checklist for Backyard Poultry Owners: https://www.aphis.usda.gov/publications/animal_health/2015/hcard_checklist.pdf
- Biosecurity for large flock/commercial poultry: https://www.aphis.usda.gov/pest-disease/defend-flock/defend-the-flock-toolkit.pdf
- Ohio Poultry Association Resources for Backyard Poultry Flocks
- Fair Season Toolkit for Poultry Biosecurity
- Avian Influenza and Biosecurity Fact Sheet
- High Path Avian Influenza Update - Jan 2022
- Backyard Biosecurity
- Poultry Biosecurity Guide
- Biosecurity for Small Poultry Flocks
- Hand Washing after Handling Chicks and Ducklings
- External Parasites of Poultry
- Internal Parasites of Poultry
- Prolapse in Poultry Kept in Small and Backyard Flocks
- Frostbite in Chickens
- Use of Anticoccidial Medications and Vaccines in Poultry Production
Preparing Poultry for Show Day with Ohio 4Hers
Preparing Poultry for Show Day with Ohio 4Hers - Washing & Transporting
Assessing Muscle Conformation
- How to Handle Eggs Safely
- Safe Handling of Eggs from Small and Backyard Flocks
- Salmonella and Backyard Chickens
Need some reliable, research-based sources for information about your poultry project? We recommend you start here, with the links below.
- eXtension, poultry.extension.org. This national database collects articles and videos from Extension experts around the country. Not seeing what you want to know? Submit your own question to Ask an Expert.
- University of Kentucky Poultry Science, afs.ca.uky.edu/poultry. A good general overview of poultry from our land grant partners at University of Kentucky.
- American Poultry Association (APA), amerpoultryassn.com. Information about shows, health, and competition from the publishers of the American Standard of Perfection.
- American Bantam Association (ABA), bantamclub.com. A wealth of resources and images from the publishers of the Bantam Standard.
- Poultry Show Central, poultryshowcentral.com. Up-to-date resource for information about poultry shows, breeders, and more.
- United State Environmental Protection Agency, epa.gov/agriculture/agriculture-ag-101. Click on "Ag101 (PDF)" and then on Poultry Production for an overall perspective on the broiler and layer industries.
These print resources offer thorough and practical information too:
Storey’s Guide to Raising Poultry, 4th Edition: Chickens, Turkeys, Ducks, Geese, Guineas, Gamebirds by Glenn Drowns (2012)
How to Raise Poultry: Everything You Need to Know, Updated and Revised (FFA) by Christine Heinrichs (2014)
Click here for the list of certified pullorum testers (Updated 2021)
A great factsheet from OPA on Pullorum Testing Common Questions and Answers
On behalf of the Ohio 4-H Poultry Programs, we would like to offer our sincerest THANKS to the following organization(s) their support of our programs.
Ohio Poultry Association: www.ohiopoultry.org
Michael Cressman, Assistant Professor - Professional Practice