These lesson plans are for use in club and county settings. They were produced by the University of Idaho and Michigan State University. We are grateful to Idaho 4-H and Michigan 4-H for their willingness to share their resources!
Animal Science Lesson Plans
Ethics - Consequences of Unethical Behavior (modified for Ohio 4-H)
- What's Your Plan (Level 1)
- Housing (Level 1)
- Environment: Caring for My Animal (Level 1)
- Temperature and Ventilation in the Barn (Level 1)
Animal Handling & Care
- Safe Animal Handling (Level 1)
- Veterinary Client Relationships (Level 1)
- Preventable Practices (Level 1, 2)
- Livestock Injection Methods & Placement
- Injection Sites & Techniques (Level 1)
- Reading Medication Labels (Level 1)
- Reading Medication Labels (Level 2)
- Castration, Dehorning/Disbudding, and Docking (Level 2)
- Hauling (Level 3)
- The Importance of Animal Identification
- Animal Identification (Level 2)
- Animal Recordkeeping for Disease Prevention (Level 1)
Common Livestock Breeds and Characteristics - Coming Soon!
Frame Size and Market Ready Weights (Level 1, 2, 3) - Coming Soon!
Evaluation (Level 1)
Structural Conformation (Level 1)
The Importance of Structural Correctness in Livestock
Skeletal Structure (Level 2)
Project Animal Selection - Coming Soon!
Basic Nutritional Requirements: Ruminant (Level 1)
Monogastric Nutrition (Level 1, 2, 3)
5 Basic Nutrients (Level 1)
Animal Digetsion: A Stomach at Work
What Do Dairy Cows Eat?
Feed Labels (Level 1, 2)
Average Daily Gain (ADG) (Level 1)
Health & Disease
Veterinary Client Relationships (Level 1)
Preventable Practices (Level 1, 2)
What Does a Healthy Animal Look Like? (Level 1)
Livestock Injection Methods & Placement
Injection Sites & Techniques (Level 1)
Reading Medication Labels (Level 1)
Disease Prevention (Level 1)
One Health: Health for One, Health for All
Toxins and Your Animal
- Basics of Biosecurity
- What is a Pathogen?
- Diseases That Animals and Humans Share
- Zoonotic Vocabulary Activity Cards
- Building on Biosecurity: Reducing the Risk
- Influenza: Mutation Nation
Introduction to Reproduction (Level 1, 2, 3)
Parts of Reproductive Systems (Level 2)
Genetics - Coming Soon!
Heat Detection (Level 2)
Milk Production: Dairy Cows
Quality and Products
Ideal Market Animal (Level 2) - Coming Soon!
Animal Byproducts (Level 1, 2)
Recognizing Wholesale and Retail Cuts (Level 1) - Coming Soon!
Carcass Terminology (Level 2) - Coming Soon!
Creating and Evaluating Steaks
Pin the Meat Cut on the Animal
Showmanship (Level 1)
Equipment (Level 1)
Getting Ready for the Show (Level 1)
Swine Showmanship: Video *note: cannot use oil on animal in Ohio, hair length must be a minimum of ½ inch long*
Beef Showmanship: Video
Lamb Showmanship: Video
Thank You Letters (Level 1)
Inviting Buyers to the Market Animal Sale (Level 2)
Evaluation (Level 1)
Livestock Judging, Note Taking, and Oral Reasons (Level 2)
Judging Beef Cattle & Oral Reasons 101
Judging Meat Goats & Oral Reasons 101
Judging Sheep & Oral Reasons 101
Judging Swine & Oral Reasons 101
Connecting with the Public through a Positive Image (Level 1)
Where Our Food Comes From (Level 1, 2)
Examining Growth Hormones in Beef
Youth Guide on Animal Welfare for Fairs and Exhibitions
Leader's Guide on Animal Welfare for Fairs and Exhibitions
Career Exploration (Level 1, 2)
Bridging Human and Animal Health