Scrapie and Scrapie Tag Information
Information from USDA-APHIS and ODA about scrapie ID requirements and restrictions for 4-H exhibitors is below. Sheep and goats with blue slaughter-only/meat tags cannot be used for exhibition, companion/“lawnmower,” or breeding purposes. Please also consult local and state exhibition rules for additional/alternative terms and conditions relating to ID requirements.
There's been a change in the mandatory scrapie eradication program. As of October 1, 2017, USDA APHIS is no longer providing plastic ear tags and applicators for official scrapie ID. Due to budget cuts, USDA will only be able to provide metal tags. However, USDA APHIS Veterinary Services, Pickerington, Ohio, DOES have free plastic tags still available until they run out. The tags are serial numbered without a herd/flock ID printed on the tag, but will be linked to individual's flock IDs. Ohio producers and individuals may request thee tags by completing an Ohio Scrapie Tag Order Form found in a link below. Producers may request free metal tags by calling 866-USDA-TAG. Otherwise they should purchase their own official ear tags/devices from approved tag companies.
- Sheep and Goat Health, USDA APHIS
- Scrapie Disease Information
- Sheep and Goat Identification - Ear Tags/Devices
- Overview – ID Requirements and Restrictions Associated with Blue Tagged Sheep and Goats
- Pictures of the blue slaughter tags
- Sheep and Goat Exhibition Requirements from the Ohio Department of Agriculture
- Ohio Scrapie Tag Order Form (Updated February 28, 2018)
- National Scrapie Eradication Program: Animal Identification and Recordkeeping Guide for Sheep and Goats Updated October 1, 2017