Scrapie and Scrapie Tag Information
Information from USDA-APHIS and ODA about scrapie ID requirements and restrictions for 4-H exhibitors is below. Sheep and goats with blue slaughter-only/meat tags cannot be used for exhibition, companion/“lawnmower,” or breeding purposes. Please also consult local and state exhibition rules for additional/alternative terms and conditions relating to ID requirements.
The National Scrapie Eradication Program provides a limited number of free official ear tags to new sheep and goat producers. To find out if you are eligible for the free tags or to get a Flock ID assigned to your flock so you can buy official tags, call 866-USDA-TAG (888-873-2824) or complete and submit the Ohio Scrapie Tag Order Form below. Producers who prefer another type or color of tag or need more tags may purchase official tags directly from approved manufacturers to fit their needs.
- Sheep and Goat Health, USDA APHIS - Updated 3.25.19
- Official ID Types for Sheep and Goats - Updated 5.2022
- Animal Identification and Recordkeeping Guide for Sheep and Goats Factsheet - Updated 5.2022
- Overview – ID Requirements and Restrictions Associated with Blue Tagged Sheep and Goats
- Pictures of the blue slaughter tags
- Ohio Scrapie Tag Order Form - Updated 1.2020